These days, with Christmas only days away, there are so many things we all want to do for each other… buy for someone, bake for someone, sew for someone. As can be guessed, sewing has always played a big part in our Christmas gift giving. We have fond memories of the matching flannel pajama + quilts sets lovingly made by Mom, blankets (for us and baby dolls), outfits (always). For some reason the pj, quilt sets are extra well-remembered. They made such an impression — everyone had their own special floral flannel. They all went together, yet none of them matched. And, Mom remembers sweetly the life-size (well, it was life-size then) doll with blonde yarn hair and the cozy alligator sleeping bags (seen above – Mom's on the left, Aunt Karrie on the right), complete with white ric rac teeth, felt eyes, and lined in red perfect-for-the-inside-of-an-alligator's-mouth flannel.
Sadly, we can't make as many handmade Christmas gifts as we'd like, but stitching up love for someone else is still close to our hearts. We love to see others make something special for someone that's special to them. There's nothing like it.
So, we wanted to come up with a few ideas to give all of you. Ways to make some of our how-tos stretch even farther— right into Christmas.
1. Braid a rug (Round, long, small, large. Anyway— they're pretty.)
2. Make a messenger bag (They can be perfectly "specialized" with different fabrics.)
3. Bake cinnamon rolls (These look so cute in round foil pans with ribbon wrapped around them.)
4. Make a set of coasters (C'mon. Everybody loves pretty coasters.)
5. Sew up a Christmas-y skirt (Pretty perfection.)
6. You could always do some handstitching to brighten up a shirt. (It would even look good matching the Christmas skirt!)
7. Give a batch of yummy hot chocolate mix (So good and simple as pie!)
8. Make pillowcases (Everybody uses them, right?)
9. Try extra-fun pillowcases (If plain ones don't suit your fancy.)
10. Stitch up a pretty fabric flower (They look lovely in groups of three too!)
Of course, if none of these seem quite right, we'll forever recommend an alligator sleeping bag. We can all say that, since every single one of us has slept in one at some time. There's nothing like them.
Happy sewing and lots of love from our cozy home~