My pillbox hat. As I mentioned earlier, yes, I did make it. It was a lot of fun to put together, and not too complicated or time consuming. Some of you asked for recommendations on making your own. Sadly, I didn't take any during-the-process-pictures, so you all will just have to be satisfied with some very rough and sketchy ideas!
When I hatched the idea of making my own hat, I fumbled around on what style. However, since I'm no milliner, a simple style was very crucial. When Paps and Nanny were down here visiting, I got this sudden urge to make my hat. I must have been thinking of Jackie O or something… the pillbox style was calling my name. So, with lots of help from Nanny, and (naturally) some input from Mom, Apphia, Abigail, and Abiah I started cutting, stitching, hand sewing, & glueing.
I chose an Anna Maria Horner Innocent Crush velveteen from my stash for the main part of the hat, and a coordinating quilting cotton for lining. I love both little & big prints alike, but I just liked the idea of this larger scale piece, with the main design purposely centered on the crown. Also, I thought it seemed nice that I could possibly mix and match it with even more of my outfits!
I measured roughly around my head, making sure not to measure too far down, as I wanted my pillbox to stay propped more up on my head. I took some heavy duty craft interfacing and cut a piece the measurement of my head. I also messed around a little with it, sticking it on my head, and testing how tall I wanted my hat to be. I whipped the craft interfacing ends together, so I ended up with a circle — the "sides" of the hat. I made the crown out of the same craft interfacing, and whipped it to the circular band. Now I had the bare bones of my hat. I took a strip of cotton batting and glued it to the sides of the hat, as I wanted a little poof. I did the same with the crown — In fact, I did that three times, graduating the sizes a little bit (from smaller to larger), so I'd get the desired look.
After that I cut my piece of velveteen into a circle, and did a long machine stitch around the edge. Wrapping it neatly around the hat, I pulled up the gathering stitches (with a little help!), pinned them in place, and stitched around it by hand. This is one of those extra things I'm so glad I did. I love the result of the slight gathers around my pillbox! To make the lining I simply cut a little-bit-bigger-circle and band, then pressed the raw edges in. I chose to just glue the lining in, and I'm quite happy with that. Though, technically I could have used a little more glue. But, since it's inside the hat I'm not losing any sleep over it!
Viola! My first millinery experience. I loved it, and hope to continue to venture out more in the future. I have this idea swirling in my head for another hat. It's a bit over-the-top maybe, but it's sooo cute!! We'll see…
Hope this was helpful to any of you aspiring hat makers! By the way, if you give it a try I'd would LOVE to see the finished product!
PS By the way… Nanny informed me I really needed a hat pin, so I found mine via Etsy. They have a gazillion to choose from!