So, you wonder how we manage to curl our hair using pantyhose. Well– now you'll know. It's very easy… with a little practice, you'll be rolling your hair like a pro!
The traditional roll-on-rags-or-strips-of-cloth method never worked for us. Our hair is way too silky. When Mom was a teenager, after her grandmother taught her how to roll her hair (in exchange for cooking supper for the family), she got the bright idea to use pantyhose instead of cloth. They are stretchy and soft… they make lovely tight curls that last all day! And you can sleep on them, too. So grab a few old pairs of pantyhose and lets get rolling…
1. Cut off the leg of your hose at the very top. Tie a knot in the end.
2. Shampoo your hair. Let dry almost all the way. Your hair should feel dry, with a little cool-damp feel. Don't roll your hair when it's too damp, or the curl won't hold!
3. Part off about a 7th of your hair in the front (depending on how much hair you have). Comb. Holding one end of your hose tightly, begin wrapping your hair around the other end. (It will look like you're starting in the middle of the hose, and working your way to the bottom.)
4. Now, start wrapping the rest of your hose (the end you've been holding) back over the rolled hair, going the opposite direction. It should look like this:
5. Secure with a knot at the end. Separate another piece of hair, and begin again!
Here is how your hair will look once it's all been rolled…
Cute, huh? Just go to bed, and you'll have lovely curls in the morning!
1. Carefully unwrap each lock. Use your fingers to separate the ringlets.
Now add a pretty barrette, pin it up, or ponytail it, and you're all set!